Thursday 26 September 2013

Top 40 of 1990

When I was younger me and my brother used to write out charts every Sunday evening after the charts had been on, detailing our own favourite tracks of the week.  We would squirrel ourselves away separately and then come together to eagerly share our charts.  This was what it was like in the olden days before internet, games consoles, running water, electricity....

I recently came across the folder that I kept them in, with slightly yellowing paper, but all still intact.  Inside were the weekly charts plus an overall chart of the year for 1990, 1991 and 1992.  Bearing in mind the 1990 chart was written when I was 12 there are a number of pretty embarrassing entries, but I kind of make up for it in 91 and 92, with tastes gradually becoming a bit more acceptable to the more discerning ear.  Having a listen to a few now I have no idea what I saw in number 1!!!  But there are a few decent ones which still stand up today....make up your own mind which ones I mean....

I can't stress enough...THIS WAS MY CHART AT THE TIME, I no longer agree with it!!!  Disclaimer over, just have a good laugh at my 12 year old self.

1. Twenty 4 Seven - Are You Dreaming?
2.  Adamski - Space Jungle
3. Gazza & Lindisfarne - Fog on the Tyne (Revisited)
4. The Farm - All Together Now
5. Kim Appleby - Don't Worry
6. Aztec Camera featuring Mick Jones - Good Morning Britain
7. The Farm - Groovy Train
8. Jason Donovan - I'm Doing Fine
9. Soup Dragons - Mother Universe
10. Together - Hardcore Uproar
11. Hi Tek 3 featuring Ya Kid K - Spin that Wheel (Turtles get Real)
12. The Proclaimers - King of the Road
13. FAB featuring MC Parker - Thunderbirds are Go
14. EMF - Unbelievable
15. Don Pablo's Animals - Venus
16. Londonbeat - I've Been Thinking About You
17. Whitney Houston - I'm Your Baby Tonight
18. Partners in Kryme - Turtle Power
19. Soup Dragons - I'm Free
20. Tricky Disco - Tricky Disco
21. Chad Jackson - Hear the Drummer (Get Wicked)
22. Chris Isaak - Wicked Game
23. Technotronic - The Megamix
24. LFO - LFO
25. Twenty 4 Seven - I Can't Stand It
26. Robert Palmer & UB40 - I'll Be Your Baby Tonight
27. Roxette - Dressed for Success
28. Megabass - Time to Make the Floor Burn
29. Vanilla Ice - Ice Ice Baby
30. Bobby Brown - Freestyle Megamix
31. 808 State - Cubik
32. New Order - World in Motion
33. The Charlatans - The Only One I Know
34. Monie Love - Down to Earth
35. Poison - Unskinny Bop
36. Black Box - The Total Mix
37. The Farm - Stepping Stone
38. Technotronic - Rocking Over the Beat
39. Monie Love - It's a Shame (My Sister)
40. Jive Bunny - Can Can You Party

No comments:

Post a Comment